ads

Search ContentKenya

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Web design for dummies

WEB DESIGN FOR DUMMIES. WELL, NOT DUMMIES. JUST INTELLIGENT PEOPLE WHO ARE COMPUTER ILLITERATE. WELL, NOT ILLITERATE, JUST- oh, nevermind.

Welcome to the wonder world of the internet. Also known the world wide web, the net, cyberspace or t3h interw3bs. (The latter is a story for another day. Hehe.) The internet is sort of like a virtual world on its own, and your wanting to design a website is like wanting to purchase a house in the land of Internet You can fix it up, put anything you want in it, and have a bunch of neighbors! And the last time I checked, they weren't prone to termites, so that's always a plus.

If you haven't died from my corny jokes, we can move on. Ahem.

There are certain things you have to have before you can purchase your home on the Net- a home which we've conveniently named "website."

A. "My Plot of Land" Firstly, you need a plot of land to put your house on. In the Land of Internet, these are called Web hosts. Since we are new homeowners and aren't sure about our investment yet, we're going to get a free web host! There are many different web hosts out there. Today we're going with my favorite web host, Geocities, simply because this is my article and I can do whatever I want and you have to do it! Wait! No! Don't leave! I was just kidding.

In order to get our web host, we have to sign up with Geocities. This is very easy if you have a yahoo account! If not, that's okay. We'll go through the entire process as if we are making a new account. If you already have a new account, please click log in and log into your account. Then make your caboose over to point B. But not before reading the note below.

NOTE TO EXISTING YAHOO USERS: Keep in mind that your ID will be in the URL (address) of your website. For example, if my ID is ilovecake, then my website would be www.geocities.com/ilovecake.

If you do not want your website to have your ID in it, then you can sign up with a new name.

1. First, type in http://www.geocities.com into the white address bar at the top of your browser.
2. This will take you to a big page full of things that look like they cost money. NEVER FEAR! I am here to guide you! There is one area- usually located in the right top hand corner- that says Free. (A word I know we all like!) There is a button that says 'sign up.' Click on it. I mean, please click on it. I can be so rude sometimes!
3. This will take you to a log in screen. Since you can't log in, click on sign up.
4. This is the registration form, which

No comments:

Post a Comment